Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: "Michael Coslo" <mjc5@psu.edu>, "cq-contesting cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 16:26:33 -0000
> A person using Skimmer is going to be spending a lot of time
> looking at the skimmer screen, which will take away from
> operating in the contest.

A dumb contester might do that, but a good operator would just let it
populate his WriteLog bandmap, then periodically harvest the band map.  The
advantage that this would be to a single-op in SS CW is almost incalculable
at this point.  In Navy tactical terminology we'd call it a "force
multiplier".

> So how do we determine it's actual impact? We allow it's use for a
> time so gauge that impact. If Skimmer users start dominating classes,
> then it might be time to direct it's use to one category or another.

That's akin to FDR saying on Dec 7th "Let's just wait and see what they're
up to."

I believe Skimmer should be quarantined into the "assisted/unlimited"
corral until it's effect can be gauged.  Letting it run "in the wild" risks
it causing damage to the pure Single Op category that we can't now predict.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Just a boy and his ears and his radio