Re: [CQ-Contest] Eliminate SO Unassisted?

To: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Eliminate SO Unassisted?
From: dieven@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:13:24 +0000
Doug, aren't the skills required of a modern contester just different than the
skills required 20 years ago?

I can't maintain a manual dupe sheet at all well.  I never got very good at it.
I also have difficulty reading my own handwriting.  I can't send at any
reasonable quality all the contest calls and exchanges with a straight key.  I
cannot log with one hand while keying with the other.

But I can configure a modern station. I can write some of the software that
amateur radio operators use.  I can use, with very limited success, a second
radio in a contest. I would suggest that some of the things most of us can do
now would baffle our predecessors.

Do I have the skills and have I trained myself as my predecessors in the skills
of dupe sheet maintenance and manual CW keying?  Nope.

Could my predecessors with their skills do what I can do with my training and
effort to create, learn, select, and apply these tools?  Nope.

How has this use of technology to replace laziness or training "dumbed down"
contesting? It has changed it.  It has resulted in higher scores. And it has
resulted in more enjoyment for me and for the people who have to copy my CW. I
frankly don't think the manual dupe sheet and manual CW skills I have been to
lazy to learn are very important in today's contesting world.

Whether CWSkimmer should be permited in SO is a valid thing to debate.

But would suggest that the "technology improvements are bad for a
technology-based hobby" argument does not hold water.

Dick, K6KR

From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>