Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

To: David Robbins K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:25:09 -0500 (CDT)
I wasn't clear exactly about what a code reader is, but if it's something
like a PK232 which decodes Morse into text, then I think the same as
Dave.

My feelings on them are that I'd never use one myself, since I can still
copy about 55 wpm OK (tinnitus is NOT fun). But if someone wants to, I
just can't see how it fits "assisted" at all.

I still think "assisted" is defined as spotting help from another PERSON.
Anything within my own station that mechanically or electronically shows
bandmaps/callsigns just isn't assistance to me. If the source comes from
someone else, either inside or outside the station, it's assistance. This
includes packetcluster, pingjockey, various internet logging/spotting
networks, phone calls, or W9### stopping by to tell me "VY1JA is on
14040."

We recently discussed on the VHF contesting group if things like auroral
oval plots in real time off the internet, Hepburn forecasts, radar storm
maps for rainscatter, etc. would be considered assistance.  The conclusion
was that they are not, as they do not directly give a callsign and/or
frequency of someone to work.

FWIW that's my opinion.  Probably not worth much.

73, Zack W9SZ