Re: [CQ-Contest] Using GPSs and Google to place antennas

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Using GPSs and Google to place antennas
From: Dave/KA1NCN <dave@ka1n.cn>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 12:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
K1TTT said:  However, even for laying out an 80m 4-square its no where near
accurate enough.

KA1NCN replied:  I was hoping that you would not say that.  Alas, you are
correct.

The other thing that I think that Google would be good for would be plotting
the dimensions of antennas.  So, even if a GPS won’t give you precise results,
Google could tell you what ground features need to be "accommodated" in setting
up an antenna.  I realized that when I was planning our FD site (see
http://tinyurl.com/6bnb3c for Google map), I should probably have oriented the
vertical arrays with a lot more precision in advance, rather than waiting to
get to the site and break out a compass.

73,
Dave/KA1NCN
Dave@KA1N.CN