Re: [CQ-Contest] Busted Exchanges - how to log them?

To: <quack@planetebay.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Busted Exchanges - how to log them?
From: "Sandy Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:05:05 -0500
If the local got all the information he needed from the VE8, the contact
counts, even if it took a few tries.

I've overheard many contest Qs that go like this:

...contest
Whiskey Five Big Zipper
W5BZ, 59 4
OK, not sure what that means, you're 59 here in Bigwhoop, Oklahoma. Name
here is Fred. Runnin' a TS830S into a 3-element beam at 50 feet.
OK, thanks Fred, Sure appreciate you dropping by to help me in the contest.
If you want to work others, you can give them a signal report and Zone 4 for
the exchange, roger?
Um, no, name here's Fred, not Roger. What's this zone stuff, anyway?

(after a few words of explanation, and after Fred actually said 'four' (he
already gave the 59), Fred's on his way, the contact is logged and running
resumes)

There are very few contests, I can think of perhaps only one, where you are
only credited with contacts with stations who submit logs and I can see
nothing in any rules that prohibits stations from ekeing out QSOs by talking
casual ops through the required information.

As for the geographically challenged Norwegian operator, I would suggest
stating flat out that Zone 24 puts him in remote Siberia and asking for
confirmation. If he persists with Zone 24, log it and move on with a clear
conscience that you at least tried to do the right thing.

73, Kelly
Ve4xt