Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 05:44:49 -0700
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:07:36AM -0500, Stan Stockton wrote:

> Making the logs public will just raise mostly illegitimate questions
> that will have to be addressed about someone's operation. I guess I
> missed out by not reading everything what the purpose would be of making
> them public?

I have always been in favor of open logs.  But this was the one thing
that I was somewhat worried about - but so far over the last year this
has been a non-issue with the release of the CQ WW logs.

> There are legal things/tricks which some stations have learned over the
> years that would be to the competition's advantage if they were allowed
> to view it.

I have heard this argument for years - and I guess it is just not the
way I think.  I prefer to tell anyone all of the things I do in a
contest and then work on getting a higher score.

> someone tell them about it.  Until they do, perhaps an extra hundred
> contacts will make the difference in winning or not.

I would prefer to win a contest because I am more skilled at operating
than by knowing some set of 'secrets'.  For many years I have been
putting my logs on the web for all to see and even putting up
recordings of my contest efforts in full with no edits.

You want to know how I operate a contest it is there for your taking.
You have questions about how I do something or what hardware I am
using or anything else - just ask.  I will tell you.

My hope is that the sharing of knowledge will make you and me a better
contester, a better radioman.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net