Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheaters, Logs & Self-Policing

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheaters, Logs & Self-Policing
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:24:23 -0400
On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:46 AM, Eric Hilding wrote:

> (RE-Threaded from: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next
> step?)
>

> There is one extremely bona fide reason for making contest logs
> available
> for scrutiny.
>

> Consider it kind of like a 'Neighborhood Watch Program' or 'Citizen's
> Patrol' group effort.

        Maybe we need a cartoon character like "McGruff"! (joking)

> Contest Cheating has escalated.  Sponsors may have some
> sophisticated new
> computer algorithms to try and nail offenders, but if all cards
> (logs) are
> not laid on the table for maximum self-policing efforts by the
> multitudes,
> the cesspool won't get cleaned up.

Do you have a citation for that Eric?  I hear that cheating is
rampant. Are there verifiable statistics?

> Fear of getting caught cheating in some way appears to be main
> reason for
> keeping contest logs in a secret vault.  There is no other *rational*
> reason.

        I respectfully disagree. I oppose the idea, and I've been so busy the
past several years that I haven't even been able to enter a contest.
Some of the others who oppose the idea are known to me to be honest.
Perhaps painting us as trying to hide our cheating is not the best
argument to take.

-73 de Mike N3LI -