Re: [CQ-Contest] Angle of received signal QUERY

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Angle of received signal QUERY
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:22:34 -0600
There's no easy answer to this. I went through the same exercise before I
bought
this QTH.

Just some more questions:

- What direction is the hill ? Is it an important contest direction that you
would expect low-angle signals to come from, such as Europe or Japan ? Or is it
toward VP6 ? Or is it towards the USA, where signals would (probably) come in
at
an angle above 5 degrees ?

- Is your antenna at a height that it will have any significant radiation below
5 degrees ?

Personally, I set the bar at 3 degrees. I think that 5.8 degrees is too high in
a critical direction (EU, JA). There will be some (but not all) openings where
signals may arrive below that angle.

73,
Steve, N2IC