Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Keying Cable

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Keying Cable
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 06:58:23 -0500
At 09:02 PM 11/9/2008, Dennis Vernacchia wrote:
>Mal,
>
>Also W1GEE makes em
>
>http://www.hosenose.com/interfaces.asp
>
>Be sure the one U buy uses an Opt Coupler typr device and not descrete
>transistor(s) - The Optos are far more reliable !!!
>I know W1GEE uses the Opto circuits

Except that, with some radios, some optocouplers do not pull the key or PTT
lines down close enough to zero.  I'm sure there are tricks to this - the
selection of the optocoupler or some sort of "pull-down" - but with garden
variety ones, neither my TS-930 or Mark 5 worked properly.  The 930
wouldn't PTT, and the Mk5 wouldn't key CW.

  73, Pete