[CQ-Contest] W7GG silent key

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] W7GG silent key
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:50:42 -0800
Thought I would share some W7GG memories (also known as AI7B or W7TDK).

It has been a couple of years since Bob has posted much to cq-contest.
His unique style of using mostly lower case characters - and speaking
very openly about how he felt about things will be missed.  One post that
I will never forget is this one:

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2006-01/msg00091.html

Bob pushed the envelope on speaking ones mind.  He even seems to be very
supportive of the idea of there being a QRP reflector:

"why not take it to the QRP REFLECTOR for
criss sakes and give the rest of us a break....
and if there ain't a Qrp reflector it sure sounds
like their outa be ....."

While Bob was dealing with his medical issues - I was invovled in taking
down some of this antennas and towers at his QTH in Culver, Oregon.  I
had never been to his place to operate and maybe those who have will share
some of their experiences.

While one of the towers was already down before I was involved - there was
still a very impressive 180 foot rotating tower with about half of the
antennas on it to take down.  You can see some pictures of it here:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/gallery/W7GG2008

This station was located out in the "desert" (yes - over 2/3rds of Oregon
is desert) on a 5 acre lot in an area that had no power lines.  I imagine
that it was really neat operating many miles from any power lines.  Many
of the houses there use wind and solar power.  Obviously that wouldn't be
enough to power a big contest station, so Bob also had a couple of
generators that could be fired up for contests.

This was clearly one of the biggest contest stations in the area - ranking
right up there with the W7RM QTH (now owned by N7TT).  I was in awe at the
parts that Bob had accumulated at this station.  Rumor has it that K3LR
is thinking of renting a U-Haul truck and picking up some good stuff.

Bob was supportive of the CQ WW and Stew Perrry Plaque programs and his
contributions will be missed.

I remember during the first or second running of the Stew Perry contest,
there was a morning opening to UA4HBW and we were all calling him on 160.
Bob was the only one to make it through.  After seeing his QTH and half
wave slopers coming down from 180 feet - it's easy to understand why he
had a big signal on topband.

His stacked 3/3 on 40 must have been bone crushing - as well as his other
stacks.

Some pieces from Bob's station were integrated into mine in time for the
CW SS contest.  I was using a Six Pack and a tribander that used to be
part of his station.  So - Bob's key will never be totally silent - just
some of the pieces are now going to be part of other signals you hear
on the band.

In fact - a very nice looking key that Bob had in his collection was
given away as the "Iron Man" award to Mike, RW0CN, at the recent FARS
games here in Portland.

Hopefully - other's who knew Bob longer and better than I have can share
some other stories.  Bob was a long time friend of Stan, W7NI.  He also
worked with OH2BH when they were both at Tektronix.  Recently, Bob ran
a PC board manufacturing company that I believe makes PC boards for the
Inrad folks.

RIP Bob.

Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net