Re: [CQ-Contest] W7GG silent key

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W7GG silent key
From: Dennis Ashworth <K7FL@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:47:34 -0800
Many memories of Bob over the years, but two stick in my mind as
indicative of his character:

- Some 20 years ago Bob (AI7B then) was holding court on a JA pileup
in a contest - don't recall which one. My son (8 years old at the
time) had just gotten his license and I encouraged him to give Bob a
call. This was Justin's first contest QSO and to be kind, it wasn't
pretty. However, Bob took the time to help Justin through the
exchange and told him how good it was to hear a young voice working
contests. That made a great impression on the 8 year old just
starting out in radio.

- The second thought goes back to when Tree and I began coordinating
informal lunches for the Portland area contest guys. Bob attended
most lunches when in town. We eventually changed the venue to another
part of town to make things more convenient for the Intel and
Tektronix guys. Bob wasn't big on change, but he went along with
things in the beginning .... until he learned that the new restaurant
was basically a salad bar!!! "I want Meat!" was his response and I
don't think Tree or I ever heard the end of it!

I'll miss Bob's voice in the 'test' - great op, great businessman and
great human being.

RIP big guy

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA