Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange

To: "David Levine" <david@levinecentral.com>,mjc5@psu.edu
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS SSB And Your Callsign In The Exchange
From: John Brosnahan -- W0UN <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:03:36 -0600

>As for repeating the call in the report, it does seem unnecessary.

While it may seem unnecessary from your perspective, if it is in the
rules then you operate accordingly, or run the risk of being
disqualified.  You may protest the rule by not following the rule,
but to arbitrarily decide that the rule doesn't really apply to you
puts you at some risk for disqualification.

If I feel a 55 mph speed limit is inappropriate for a particular
road, I can choose to lobby the governing body to change the law.  Or
I can just exceed the speed limit in protest and hope that the state
troopers will see my act as a legal form of protest rather than just
breaking the speed limit.  Fat chance!

Everyone who chooses to ignore the exchange rule has an unfair
advantage over those who follow the rules.  That would certainly
cheapen the victory of anyone who did not follow this (or any other) rule.

If I were in a battle with someone who chose not to follow the rules
then I would certainly protest any claim they might have on a
victory.  If the call sign part takes 3 seconds and you make 2000
QSOs then that is a total of 6000 seconds or a 100 minute advantage
over someone who follows the rules.

If you don't want the call sign in the exchange then petition the
ARRL to change the rules.   Anything else is an unfair advantage and
on a par with cheating.

John  W0UN