Re: [CQ-Contest] self help during contest

To: David Kopacz <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] self help during contest
From: "Leonard J. Umina" <len@brasspounders.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 00:18:04 -0800
Dave,

It's more likely we'll create computers or robots that do the contesting
for us while we watch and tweak their program a bit!

Seriously I am with you on some of this.  I'd like to see raw
competition - with hand keys and paper logs.  It used to be a lot of fun
in those days and far less hectic.  There was a lot to do and it was
hard work.  Totals were never really that high but the operating - wow.
We could make SKN a real contest.  No keyers or even bugs, just a SK
contest.  Then we could have a vibroplex contest - send your SN or
something....

I've recorded several contests but never listened to them, and
ultimately erased them.  My intent was to demo contesting, not fix logs
but I might have if I needed to - just never had to.  I don't get that
carried away!  I do make typos though.  Never did when younger.  These
days I think W1AEL and type W1ALE.  I swear its a Microsoft virus but no
one believes me.

I think its time for a new type of contesting though.  We need something
that challenges your computer, internet connection, and operating skills
at the same time.  How about a contest where a main server creates QSO
opportunities based on a random selection of stations.  It sends you a
hash code, callsign, frequency and minute.  You have 1 minute to get the
other stations hash code and load it into your computer and send him
yours.  If you do it correctly you get your next QSO assignment.  The
computer sends them as fast as you respond - or don't.  No more pileups,
and operating skill would really be tested.  Perhaps you can tell the
server what antennas you have and what frequencies you can operate.
Packet clusters would not matter.....

One hour after the contest the logs would be available....
Running totals could be on web pages...for the XYL to watch perhaps....
Accuracy would be just as important as speed.....

I love contesting but I don't know how you can define the "spirit of
competition".  How much spirit is it for a guy with a $100,000 station
to break a pileup and beat out a guy with a $1000 station - or hundreds
of them.  That's like the Enterprise ramming a rowboat to me.
Competition implies equal footing (like all starting from the gate when
the gun fires), and that does not and will not ever exist in ham radio.
Some guys have a QTH on a hill while some use disguise antennas and do
their best.  Who wins the "spirit of competition"?

Some guys might have a working computer but no crystal filter and a wide
RX.  They make up for that with what they've got - recording and
analysis.  Your fancy DSP algorithm is doing the same thing on a shorter
scale and automatically.  The very fabric of ham radio is based on a
capitalistic model that fosters creativity.  You do the best you can
with the resources you have and you try to make up the difference with
youth, vigor, enthusiasm, technology if you have it, and as much
creativity as you can muster.  Luck and propagation help too of course.

I think you have a point, but there are lots of other solutions.
Segmenting scores according to radios, antennas, erp etc might help.
That way there would be winners in each class based on physical tools of
similar capability.   I tried to  get the ARRL to adopt this proposal
years ago but got no where.  It was perhaps too complex to administer
without computers.  Might be different today.

/Len
WT6G