Re: [CQ-Contest] self help during contest

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] self help during contest
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 22:38:33 -0800
Mark, N5OT, wrote:

>There are "open book tests" and "closed book tests" and I imagine most
>people think radio contests should be "closed book tests."  I certainly
>would not value a high score as much if I knew all my competitors could
just
>look up the answers.
>
>But that's just me, another boy and his radio.

I agree.  All major sporting events I know of are like 'closed book tests'.
Except for the benefit resulting from any foul or penalty against a
competitor, there are no 'instant replays' to correct errors or QLF's.

What would the sports world be like if:

1.Quarterbacks were allowed, at their own election, to re-do every QLF'd
pass?

2. Basketball players were allowed, at their own election, to re-shoot every
missed hoop?

3. Baseball players were allowed, at their own election, to re-swing the bat
after every foul ball or strike?

Yeah, Contesting/RadioSport is a 'closed book test'.  Too bad all logging
software won't instantly auto-lock the program right at the end of the
contest and write an encrypted file that is what gets sent to the contest
sponsor who has the only decryption code supplied by the software author(s).
Of course, cheaters would probably screw with the Confuzer clock setting to
buy themselves more 'log massaging' time.

73.

Rick, K6VVA