Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest DxPed amp

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest DxPed amp
From: "Vladimir Sidorov" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 13:57:59 -0500
Tom,

The solid state Icom IC-PW1 is doing a great job for me for everything,
CW/SSB and even RTTY at full circle for the whole 48 hrs non stop. It IS
100% automatic. Having used for that things like grid dissipation, etc,
sound, ehhh, quite strange or obsolete, whatever you call it. The PA follows
bands' change and tunes to your freq automatically and instantly, it even
follows the freq change along the band. They say, a rig with the PW1 makes
the combo a 1 KW transceiver. This is/are the pro(s).

The cons.
1. It is not that cheap (you may check the Canadian prices).
2. It is a 1KW PA, not more. Some people try to get more that 1KW and reach
1.2 KW or so. For some time. Then they get problems (see the ch.1 above).

Go figure.

Happy holidays,

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE