Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs

To: "'VE5ZX'" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>, "'Dallas W3PP'" <w3pp.dallas@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs
From: "Sandy Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 09:47:48 -0600
My two cents:

While I wouldn't like to see all contests make logs public, any more than I
would want to see all contests adopt SS-like exchanges or all contests adopt
QTCs or QSY rules or any of the other quirks that make certain contests
unique, I think a public log policy is an interesting quirk to WW that adds
to the strategic factor.

Notwithstanding the assertion that there are no secrets in contesting, if
there are, you can no longer assume there are any secrets in WW.

Which means a couple of interesting things: you can do exactly what you did
last year, with the possibility that your nearest rival has used your log to
outwit you, or you can try new things each year to try to stay a step ahead.
Maybe you succeed, maybe you don't.

Or, it's as K1AR and K5ZD and N5KO and K5TR and... all say: the secret to
contesting is there's no secret. Work lots of contests, gain experience,
maximize BIC time and improve your skills every time.

Either way, you're still having fun, no? And isn't that what it's all about?

If the public log policy is not enough to keep you from participating (in
other words, voting with your feet), then perhaps it's time to let the
thread die?

73, Kelly
ve4xt