[CQ-Contest] Amazing PJ2T Corrosion Photo

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Amazing PJ2T Corrosion Photo
From: Geoff Howard <ghoward@kent.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:27:34 -0400
Contesters,

I though you might get a kick out of this photo. This is a 3Com Network Interface Card that I removed yesterday from one of our inop PCs at PJ2T. This card has been inside the PC case since it has been on the island, never exposed directly to salt air. The other side of the card was nearly perfect.

Clever troubleshooter that I am, I detected that this card might no longer want to work right, put in a replacement NIC, installed new drivers, did some other minor maintenance, and this computer came back to life. Amazing.

This is The Battle of the Corrosion that we fight day in and out here in Curacao. Anything metal is in jeopardy. Even some grades of stainless and aluminum are not immune.The insides of all of our FT-1000s are brown, for example, after about a year on the island.

So whenever you hear PJ2T pop up on the air for a contest, it's a new miracle all over again that we have been able to get enough gear working to put even one signal on the air. (This past two weeks I have repaired four croaked linears and six dead PCs.) Fun and games.

See you in ARRL CW, and thanks for all the QSOs.

       73,

           - Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX,The PJ2T Maintenance Man and Chief Janitor