Re: [CQ-Contest] Amazing PJ2T Corrosion Photo

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Amazing PJ2T Corrosion Photo
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:14:52 +0000
> I though you might get a kick out of this photo. This is a 3Com
> Network Interface Card that I removed yesterday from one of our inop
> PCs at PJ2T. This card has been inside the PC case since it has been
> on the island, never exposed directly to salt air. The other side of
> the card was nearly perfect.

In most computer cases there is lots of air flow.  Most fans that cool them
just suck air out of the case through the power supply, the intake is
usually just slots in the plastic cover that let air into the box where it
is drawn around all the cards and internal components for cooling.  So not
only has it been exposed, as long as the fan was running it probably had
nice humid salty air being forced to flow around it.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net