Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report

To: 'CQ-Contest' <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:42:30 -0400
I think this illustrates the risk of finger-pointing in such reports.  Dave
is generally quite judicious in the comments he makes.  It might be even
better if he just reported the data and dispensed entirely with anything
beyond the objective facts.  If that were done, then everyone could draw
their own conclusions, and perhaps all the moaners about public lynching
would go off and find something else to complain about.

Just for fun, I compared last year's ARRL CW DX test results, as published
by ARRL, with last year's spotting report.  4 out of 6 stations that looked
like self-spotters did not submit logs.  In one case where the log was
submitted, it seemed ambiguous to me.  In the last case, a whopping
Multi-two score, a majority of the alleged self-spots were actually
cheerleading by a relative of one of the ops.

I think we have to take it as given that in cases like that, the ARRL log
checkers had Dave's report in hand as one of their checking resources.  I'd
sure hate to have him deterred from doing the work necessary to provide it.

73, Pete N4ZR