Re: [CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Categories, Participation and Competition
From: "Edward" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:45:25 -0400

I must say that for years, I have read in this reflector the discussion
of the "multitudes" of "casual contesters" that would become serious
with smaller competitive time requirements.  Yet IARU (24 hours) and
IOTA (12 hours) don't bring out these multitudes.  The NAQP is active
and fun and sure there a some (not a lot quite frankly) different
players in that one but I believe that the gepgraphic competition issues
are as much a difference as time.  Look at SS vs. IARU (both 24 hours)
yet wildly different group because of geographic interests and just
different contest personalities.

If this crowd proposing smaller hour competitive segments within a
contest wants to make themselves heard and noticed..get off the
reflector and "en masse" "run with the dogs" in IARU or IOTA.  Or tell
us your next excuse as to why some "spousal activity" or "soccer game"
made it impossible to be competitve.

I for one, could be persuaded to support these 12 or 24 hour categories
if the walk backed up the talk in the current contests that offer it.
But I just don't see it.  Show us all, that there is interest...or drop
it for once and for all please.

I must agree with others on Extreme...more categories? why this one for
a few stations?....and the remote reciever thing without DXCC or zone
limitation is DOA for me for the sport itself.  2 Extremes can work
themselves on 10M whether the band is open or not if they have the right
receiver locations...that is NOT extreme...that is another
sport....internet gaming.

Ed  N1UR

PS.  Field Day is 24 hours....there is another one to "show us all what
you are talking about"