[CQ-Contest] Times article

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Times article
From: "James Cain" <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:57:51 -0400
This is a pretty decent ham radio article. Try to put your feelings about
the NYTimes aside for a moment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/27/technology/27moon.html?_r=1&hpw

Conspicuously absent from the article is any mention of or link to the ARRL,
which would have been nice, since it's the sponsor of Field Day and spends a
lot of time and money promoting it. Hard to imagine none of the hams
interviewed failed to mention the League. In fact, the article never even
mentions "Field Day." Maybe the article can be updated tonight or Saturday,
since, as it stands, the article is a nice ham-radio-in-general piece but
not a come-to-our-Field Day one.

The article never refers to CW, either, which as far as I know is still a
mode of choice for at least some moonbounce work, along with K1JT's
specialized digital software mode, I guess. I suppose any mention of Morse
code sends civilians running in the opposite direction. The story's emphasis
on "voice" gave some clever headline-writer the opportunity to invent
"moontalking," a nice spin on M. Jackson's "moonwalking." Good work there.

Jim Cain, K1TN
At the K1TN Superstation
Pomona, NJ