Re: [CQ-Contest] Optocouplers

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "Mark - K5AM" <k5am@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Optocouplers
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 13:37:04 -0700
Hi Mark,

Interesting.

Let me see if I can summarize your findings regarding use of
optocouplers on LPT ports:

1. Single stage optocouplers draw too much current from the
LPT port.
2. Darlington optocouplers don't bring the key line close
enough to zero volts to key reliably.
3. To get the CW key line to work with an optocoupler, you
used a 4n32 darlington optocoupler to drive a linear
comparator IC with a comparison threshold of 3V and VCC of
5V to convert to reliable TTL levels, then a TTL driver IC
to key the rig.

I hope I got that right. Pretty wild stuff.

I haven't had any problems using just an npn transistor,
even with multiple 1500 watt amps blasting away.

73

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA