[CQ-Contest] 10 minute rule log checking

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 10 minute rule log checking
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:04:29 -0700
W2UP writes:

> Considering how few DQs occur, I assume those that were DQed this year
> were fairly blatant and egregious in their misdeeds.

I was not involved in checking the logs that were recently DQ'd, but have
been involved in other cases where we were looking at this.

It's actually pretty easy to find strong evidence to determine if rubber
clocking is taking place.  You can use "reference" stations as a time
standard to make sure no clock errors are involved.

One way someone that is rubber clocking will show up is in a single metric
that shows the "average" time difference that takes place when doing cross
checking.  Most people will have a number around 1 or 2 minutes.  If someone
has a much larger number, then either their clock is set wrong or something
possibly more sinister is going on.

For stations who have to abide by the ten minute rule - all you need to
do is look carefully at the QSOs that occur near band changes to find the
ones that are "rubber clocked".  It is a pretty easy process.

I know there have been cases before where a full blown multi-multi was made
to look like a multi-single just by changing the times in the log.  Cheating
like this really is counter to the spirit of ham radio contesting and a DQ
is totally appropriate.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net