Re: [CQ-Contest] antenna irregularity noticed

To: Rick Dougherty NQ4I <nq4i@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] antenna irregularity noticed
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 10:42:46 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Rick,Isn't there insulator - spacer midway?Maybe deteriorated, contamination
causing resistance - heating?Yuri, K3BU.uswww.MVmanor.com> Hi all..this is
probably the best place to air this one....I > took down a KLM> 4 el 40m
linear-loaded antenna today to repair the reflector > that had been> damaged in
last winter's ice storm...when I got it to the ground > I noticed> that the
aluminum strapping that is used to feed the front > driven element to> the rear
driven element showed signs of some sort of heating in > the middle> 12
inches...before some one says I am using too much power...the > antenna has>
never been driven with more than 1500 watts...I replaced the > original KLM>
4:1 balun with one made of coax a few years ago...has anyone > else seen the>
heating in the crossover strap as I am seeing? This has really > gotten my>
curiosity up to say the least...we have problems here with > buzzards sitting>
on the antennas from time to time, but I didn't find one dead at >
 the base of> the tower...unless of course his buddies carried him off after >
he was> sufficiently warmed up!> > So warm buzzard? Heat from unknown source?
Some sort of chemical > reaction?Could the phasing straps have shorted out and
caused > the heating??> > I await the replies..de Rick NQ4I>