Re: [CQ-Contest] Why the 10 min rule anyway?

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why the 10 min rule anyway?
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:47:36 -0400
On Aug 3, 2009, at 5:38 PM, K1TTT wrote:

> Ah, but it is technically possible now to have a single box, with a
> single
> rf output jack, transmitting multiple signals on one or even
> multiple bands.
> Combine that with a receiver with the same capability in the same
> box and
> what do you call it?  is that one 'transmitter', or one 'receiver',
> or a
> 'transceiver', or something else, a m/m in a box??? or do you count
> each
> software/firmware signal processing chain as a transmitter or
> receiver?

After being brought up to speed on time slicing, I would have to say
the duck principle is in effect. To any one who is listening to the
multi-single station that is using time slicing, there would be no
difference between their application and a multi-multi station.
Obviously there would be electronic ways to determine that only "one"
signal was being transmitted at any one time, but there is also no
doubt that multiple operators were operating multiple transmitters at
the same time. Time slicing does not change that. That isn't just the
spirit of the rule, that is the absolute function of the station.

My judgement would be that it was looking like, acting like, and
quacking like a duck. It would be a multi-transmitter, multi Op
station. If someone wanted to argue that further, they could start
their own contest.

-73 de Mike N3LI -