Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: 55th Worked All Europe DX Contest (WAEDC) CW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: 55th Worked All Europe DX Contest (WAEDC) CW
From: "Mark n2qt" <n2qt@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 09:47:21 -0400
I happened to be reading the Sept 1955 issue of CQ which gave the rules for
the first WAEDC.
It was most interesting to see the use of substitutes for countries within
the USSR that did
not allow ham operation. For example:

LA (north of arctic circle)  subs for Ukraine
GM  Shetlands,  subs for UA FJ Land
etc.
stations in these substitute areas were to signify this by signing special
suffixes, ie /S. There
was also some speculation that operation from the USSR might be shortly
forthcoming, but
I haven't gotten to that issue of CQ yet.

There were also bonus points for contacting the same station on 3, 4, or 5
bands (no 160).

I can scan the two pages if someone is interested.

Mark n2qt