Re: [CQ-Contest] Why the 10 min rule anyway?

To: "Michael Coslo" <mjc5@psu.edu>, "CQ-Contest com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why the 10 min rule anyway?
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 07:45:12 -0700
From: "Michael Coslo" <mjc5@psu.edu>
To: "CQ-Contest com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:59 AM

> On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:43 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
>
>> Rather than contemplating further restricting the Multi-One
>> category, is
>> there actually a consensus that something is wrong with the present-
>> day
>> implementations of M/S by the top stations?

> On Aug 14, 2009, at 1213 UTC, Mike, N3LI wrote:
> When there is no functional difference between a M/M station and a M/S
> station, the distinction is obviously artificial.

Mike,

I really don't comprehend how you can even come close to making a M/S play
"obviously artificial" compared to a M/M.

How can a single transmitter on one band (even in those contests which allow
a mult transmitter on another band, and then only one of them transmitting
at any given second of time) be compared with six transmitters on six bands,
full bore run plus hunting positions????????????????

To me there is 5.5 times difference between the two, PLUS the 10 minute rule
affecting and further limiting the M/S.  And the M/S can't run on the mult
transmitter either.  In the end there is about 5.8 times difference between
the two, no matter how you slice it.

Please enlighten me and the reflector.

Milt, N5IA