Re: [CQ-Contest] Need advice re amps/setups for contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Need advice re amps/setups for contesting
From: jpescatore@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 05:31:39 -0400
Someone already gave you the higher is better and "if money is no object"
pointers. If money *is* an object, another way to go is the 600w MFJ/Ameritron
ALS-600 and the 600w MFJ autotuner. You lose 3-4db but save a lot of money for
casual contesting. The down side is if you turn it on you are in the high-power
category even though your power ain't so high. I've been using that setup this
year (well, with the legal limit MFJ autotuner) with wire antennas, and only
used the amp for the bigger contests.

For DXing, it puts you nicely above all the other 100 watters but for
contesting you will still wait in line, though I've found that calling/timing
skill still is worth several db - a lot of the packet putout chasers are easy
to beat in pileups even when they are running full power and lots of aluminum.

73 John K3TN