Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

To: k1ep.list@gmail.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?
From: Martin Luther <vk7gn@bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:44:33 +1100
Ed K1EP wrote:
> If packet could be used by an assisted
> operator without affecting others, then I am all for it.  In reality,
> that isn't the case.
Unless this is addressed the rest of this discussion is just blowing in
the wind!

I have been a very active contester as VK4VU and VK5GN getting on for
many contests running flat out and in those days there were not many
VK's to work especially on the lower bands.

As VK7GN I still get on contests but mainly selectively and for limited
periods - the reason is packet. As a semi-rare station I frequently get
packeted and you know when it happens - the rate goes down as you
wrestle with the monster. For many years I thought that perhaps my
operating skills were inadequate or I needed a better receiver. However,
I have found that what I need is a stronger signal into the source area
of the callers. So a W1 with a packet pile from Europe will do it better
than I can from VK even if I could run 2KW and had stacked beams!

I have worked hard to foster and encourage VK's to get more active in
contests. Imagine what happens to that new chum VK with 100watts (our
max is 400) to a tribander at 40ft when he has got a reasonable score on
previous contests mainly by S&P and wants to graduate further and know
he has to run and run. However, he has NO chance from here on a European
packet pile he just cannot control it, he is not a strong enough signal!

The whole thing has a very annoying inevitability about it such that I
am on the committee for the Oceania contest that accepts packet for
single op!

However, those who support and love packet remember your pleasure is
being gained at the expense of less pleasure for me and those in similar
situations. You are in the majority so you need have no regard for those
who suffer as a result. However, please save us the sanctimony of
pretending this is something really good for contesting. It is not!

Martin VK7GN