Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

To: "Glenn Wyant" <va3dx@sympatico.ca>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?
From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.list@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 06:40:45 -0500
At 11/2/2009 02:11 PM, Glenn Wyant wrote:

>Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?
>
> >I propose that those who dont want clusters; that they dont use them.
> >
> > I propose that those who like using clusters ; use them.
> >
> > Assuming they claim the proper category , IF they submit a contest entry.
> >
> > I am one of those low-life ,  cripples that uses the cluster ( assisted )
> > now and then , sorry to those who wish control my operating preferences.
> >
> > Glenn VA3DX

For me, as a low power non-assisted contester, the use of packet in a
contest is not merely an argument of whether it is a crutch or not,
it affects the way I contest, even though I do not use it.  Packet in
a contest creates "packet pileups".  Once a sought after station is
spotted, a tremendous, sometimes unruly, pileup ensues.  As an
unassisted low power contester, I seek out the DX by tuning.  When I
find one, I would like the opportunity to work him without hundreds
of packet people descending upon him.  If, on the other hand, I am
running and spotted incorrectly, I will all of a sudden have a flood
of eager contesters calling me.  Many will have already worked me and
be dupes.  This causes me to either QSY or work many dupes and reduce
my effective rate.  So, the use of packet it not an isolated event,
it just doesn't help or assist the operator using it, it affects all
the other contesters.  Whether these effects are beneficial or not
should be the discussion.  If packet could be used by an assisted
operator without affecting others, then I am all for it.  In reality,
that isn't the case.