[CQ-Contest] Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules
From: "Jeffrey Clarke" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:14:29 -0500
I would like to make a comment on N6XI's comment about using an "octopus," and
it being unethical....  I operated from a certain station  when I lived in Ohio
who had such a system.
We won Multi-Op for Sweepstakes and WPX several times. The owner of this
station wrote his own program and had a lockout system to ensure we didn't
transmit on more than one band at
a time. While some might consider this unethical it was within the scope ot the
rules because  for many contests you are not considered to be on a band when
you are listening, only when you are transmitting. This was our way to be
competitve with the West Coast in SS.

I really don't see this being any different that someone doing SO2R.  You are
interleaving QSOs
on different bands and you are using a lockout (i.e. octopus) to prevent from
transmitting on more than one band at a time.  (I have seen some SO2R stations
and multi-ops who don't even bother doing this). Does this make SO2R unethical
as well ??

I would like to see the contest sponsors create a single-op unlimited class
where someone can use all the technology that is available (i.e packet, skimmer
etc...)  Make another single -op class for those traditionalists out there
using just one radio.  Get rid of the Multi-Single  and Single -Op Assisted
classes. Have only two Multi-Op classes M2X and MM. I think if they did this it
would be much easier to identify those who insist on cheating....

Jeff  KU8E