Re: [CQ-Contest] Is holding QRG's legal?

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is holding QRG's legal?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:57:59 -0700
I'm afraid I can't agree with you on that, at least not for unassisted
operation.  Having someone hold the frequency for you while you take a
break or switch to a different band definitely gives you a significant
advantage not generally available to any other single operator.  If it
didn't, why would you do it?  Finding a good run frequency from scratch
is one of the more difficult things to do in a major contest (heck ...
even just holding one can be a problem).

But if the "ethics" of that doesn't register with you, check out the
following excerpt from the ARRL HF Contest Rules:

   1. *2.2.Single Operator Assisted:* One person performs all
      transmitting, receiving, and logging functions as well as
      equipment and antenna adjustments. (Note: See rule 2.3.1.1)
         1. 2.2.1.Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating
            arrangements involving other individuals, DX-alerting nets,
            packet, multi-channel decoders such as CW Skimmer, etc) not
            physically located at the station is permitted.
         2. 2.2.2.Single Operator Assisted stations are allowed only one
            transmitted signal at any given time, not including
            transmissions on a spotting net.

Note the reference to "operating arrangements involving other
individuals" being classified as an assisted activity.

The CQWW rules seems to be even more restricted, since it applies even
to assisted categories:

"A. Single Operator categories: For all single operator categories, only
one person (the operator) can contribute to the final score during the
official contest period."

Again, if having someone else hold your frequency doesn't help
contribute to your final score I don't know why anyone would bother
doing it.

Dave   AB7E