Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding a QRG: ethics vs rules

To: <kr2q@optimum.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding a QRG: ethics vs rules
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:40:21 -0700
From: <kr2q@optimum.net>

> 1.  In a major city (and probably other venues too), it is a major chore
> and cause for
> celebration to find and hold a parking spot on the street.  If you leave
> your spot, it is now
> up for grabs.  Would it be ethical to have a friend stand in the parking
> spot or to put up
> some sort of barricade so as to prevent others from using "your" spot
> while you are not there?
> Most of us would say that this is "not fair" to the others; it is
> unethical.

Doug, your analogy doesn't quite fit.  It is analagous to the original
operator placing a continuous dead carrier or a continuous repeating CQ on
the frequency.  The intended purpose of the use of the frequency is not
correct and is denied to others.  This act indeed would be unethical.

However, there is another side to every story.  This is from the advocate at
the other table.

My client's friend parked his car in "the spot" while my client ran an
errand.  The friend just happened to come by when my client had an urgent
need to leave for a while, so the friend was allowed to park in "the spot".
When my client returned from his sojourn, his friend (because he is a
friend) allowed my client to again park in "the spot".

No one harmed, and "the spot" was utilized for it's intended purpose during
the entire period of time in question.

Mis dos centavos, according to the report of this action that I read.

Milt, N5IA