Re: [CQ-Contest] 1977 vanity calls (was Watch your dits this weekend)

To: CQcontest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1977 vanity calls (was Watch your dits this weekend)
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:23:45 -0800 (PST)
You are right Hank.  I put in for 12 different calls the end of 1977...the
deadline for the last time you could get a 1 X 2 call because you were a
true-blue-gosh-darn-American-Extra was December 31, 1977 if I remember
correctly.  On day, I got the bug and mailed in 12 calls that I wanted.
Dropped the package in the mail on December 24, 1977.

Paul Grauer, the Midwest Director at the time, had a friend in the FCC office
and he would get weekly updates of calls available by FAX.  Paul would mail you
a copy.  He owned a telephone company so he had a 1-800 number.  So, the next
day I got the weekly call list from the FCC from Paul and made the
choices.....  I got my #1 pick in 1977.  No vanity here, but I was thinking of
contesting.

Lee - K0WA
ex-WA0SWC
ex-WN0OWN