Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Emergencies

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Emergencies
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 09:36:14 -0700
The other problem is the majority of the time they are not handling
emergency traffic but instead playing frequency cops.  In the audio clip
that was recently sent, the NCS talks about an emergency but there was no
emergency.  They are there just in case there is one.

If there was a real emergency, I bet the frequency would have been
available.  Holding a frequency in hopes of a problem would be similar to
fire departments sending out engines and having them stationed along
interstates just in case.

As another pointed out there are far better means to report a maritime
emergency today than a 20m net.  Have they helped in the past, yes.  If I
had an emergency the last place I would go would be 20m on a major contest
weekend.  I would go to another band where communications would be much
easier.

>From what I understand people use this "net" as a crutch and avoid
purchasing the proper communications equipment for their boats.  The
question is whether amateur radio should be the first line of communication
or maybe the last.

If the FCC and IARU would like to set aside frequencies outside the normal
SSB bands I would support that.

We do not need or want to set the precedent that one group has "ownership"
of a frequency.  The FCC has been quite clear that nobody owns or has any
more right to a frequency than the next guy.  If you get on 14.300 or any
other frequency for that matter, at 4am and nobody is using it, then it is
yours to use for as long as you wish.  If you do not want to move you do not
have to.  Repeaters aside.

I would suspect that the control op(s) could have been cited for malicious
interference and do more to make the problem worse than making it better.

 Mike W0MU

CC Packet Cluster W0MU-1
W0MU.NET or  67.40.148.194

never get over." Ben Franklin