Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] anti-contest petition MMSN
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:29:20 -0600
The last time I was on a ship (late 90's) I talked with the
communications/electronics officer. Even got a tour. He showed me that
equipment.

They had a backup shortwave and VHF radio just in case that equipment failed
but they didn't use amateur frequencies.

Which brings me to a question. Assuming they are not handling commercial
traffic, what exactly does the MMSN do? I've never listened to them. Do they
just chat about where they are and what they're doing, etc?

73, Zack W9SZ