Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU R1 IARU contest scoring change

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU R1 IARU contest scoring change
From: "Gerry Lynch" <director@allianceparty.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 14:06:47 -0000
> From: cq-contest-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:cq-contest-
> bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of k3bu@optimum.net

> Plus, especially in Eu, HQ stations park high power CQer machines
across
> the band leaving few "clear" frequencies for little and medium
pistols.
> HQ multiplier = baaad idea.

Having taken part in a "big gun" Eu HQ station over a number of years
now, I can honestly say it's one of the most fun things in radio even
when doing a band/mode slot (15 SSB one year) that isn't exactly the
most spectacular in a solar minimum mid-summer.  Lots of passing, lots
of playing with technology.

It also gets literally thousands of hams involved who otherwise never
would take part in a contest; some of them catch the bug and take part
in others.  Contesting is currently more popular in Europe than anywhere
else in the world - surely this is good for all of us?  Surely it would
be good to do things to make it increase in popularity elsewhere rather
than removing something that has been a big part in making it so popular
in Eu?

73
Gerry GI0RTN