Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU R1 IARU contest scoring change

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU R1 IARU contest scoring change
From: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:38:31 -0800 (PST)
The IARU scoring is also very unfair to those in North America who are on the
wrong side of the zone 8/zone 7 boundary. The population of stations is much
greater in zone 8, so stations in zone 7 (as well as west coast stations in
zone 6) get a significant point advantage.

I'm in zone 8 but close to the zone 7 boundary. If I recompute my scores as
being in zone 7 it can often be a 25% increase in the final score:

(all SO HP CW)
yr    change in score 8->7
2008: +23%
2007: +26%
2006: +14%
2005: +14%

It is particularly bad at the bottom of the solar cycle when there are fewer DX
qso's. And add to that the short-range sporadic-E qso's during summertime
conditions.

Additionally removing HQ's as mults would really make the IARU more
geographically fair, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Tor
N4OGW