Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about USB to Serial (DB9) port adapters

To: Ray <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Question about USB to Serial (DB9) port adapters
From: Iain MacDonnell - N6ML <ar@dseven.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:54:14 -0800
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Ray <rayn6vr@cableone.net> wrote:
> I am new to this list and am looking for information about USB to Serial
> port adapters. I am looking for a 4 port Serial adapter with USB input to
> install and setup on a Windows XP computer for computer logging (DX4WIN) and
> contest (N1MM) programs.
>
> A friend of mine uses a Keyspan 4 port unit and has no problems. I have
> found a number of other brands but am wondering if they will work without
> problems. One is #5370 (no MFG listed), another is a USB Gear 4X32, and yet
> another is a Y&L (no other info). Each of these units are a lot less
> expensive than the Keyspan.
>
> Can anyone recommend any of the above units? Or do you know of serial
> adapters that are easy to setup and would recommend?

The general consensus seems to be that the FTDI chipset is most
compatible and most reliable. You can find products that use the FTDI
chipset at:

http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/category=Serial+Adapters

I'm not affiliated with FTDI nor ByteRunner - just what I've heard "on
the block"...

    ~Iain / N6ML