[CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:22:23 -0700
As a participant in the 1966 Novice Roundup (NR), I have always had a soft spot
in my heart for that contest. I have been disappointed with the ARRL's decision
to discontinue it, and although the level of novice/technician participation
was pretty low at the end, they did little to replace it, despite promises to
do so.

Perhaps an activity geared towards achieving an operating award such as WAS,
DXCC, or VUCC would interest ten newbie. The current Triple-Play award has
gotten a lot of play.

So how about having 3 to 4 week "round ups" aimed towards achieving WAS, DXCC
or VUCC? The WAS contest could be arranged to contain the two weekends of
Sweepstakes, the DXCC contest to overlap the two ARRL DX contests in
February/March and the VUCC to overlap the June VHF and July CW VHF contests.
This would encourage participation in a "real contest" but operating in the off
time would be less hectic.  Log entries could be simultaneously entered into
LOTW for the award. That would be good for any contest.

Multipliers could be whatever entity is being chased, states, countries, or
grids; bonus points could be given for achieving WAS, DXCC or VUCC during the
contest period. Perhaps if you got it more than once you could claim the points
again. The old NR gave bonus points for earning a code proficiency certificate.

The old Novice Roundup limited operating time to 30 hours in the two week
period, perhaps 48 might be allowed these days.

My thoughts. Lots of details to be worked out. - Duffey
--
KK6MC
James Duffey