Re: [CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?

To: CQcontest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Replacement for Novice Roundup?
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:57:56 -0800 (PST)
Since Novices are gone....the Roundup should be gone too.  There
are plenty of contests out there that a rookie can get into.  Lets just
take one...NAQP.  It runs for only 12 hours and you can work 10 out of
the 12 hours.  Has 100 watt limit.  It is name and section...quite
friendly...like "Killer, Arizona" or "Lee, Kansas."  There are three
weekends....CW...RTTY...SSB.  This is a perfect contest for newbies.

Now...if
we are going to add another contest....let me tell you right now...the
contesting community will make it a competitive thing and the "newbies"
are going to get snowed by the "professional amateur contesters."

Here
is the only  way you can do this....you have to limit the contest so
the "professional amateur contesters" do not compete.  How?  Dunno.
Licensed less than 5 years?  That might not work.  You have to run an
HW-101.  Nope, does not seem right.  Have to run at less than 10 wpm
and speak slower than my Uncle Ned?  HMMMMM.  No...  Can only hunt and
peck the keys on RTTY.  No use of logging programs...must be done by
hand.  HMMMMMM.....  I don't think any of those will really fly.

I am fresh out of ideas here....

Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find
any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is
Common Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  J. Wolf