Re: [CQ-Contest] XTREME category...a colossal BUST?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] XTREME category...a colossal BUST?
From: VK4TI <vk4ti@wia.org.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:23:18 -0800 (PST)
Bill,

As much as we like to think of changes for the betterment of contesting
people are slow adopters..for example if the Assisted category was taken on
board in the way that the traditionalist would have us believe it would /
should be a bigger category than standard SOAB yet I cant for the life of me
think of a CQWW or WPX assisted entry that has outscored the winners of the
SOAB and this has been around for over ten years.

I don't think it really is such a big advantage to the top SOAB operators..
although I was surprised by the calls of the stations who logged us (VK4KW)
as VK2KW after an incorrect spot by a M0 station in the WPX 2009 SSB. :-)
All within 15 minutes...

My personal experience when I entered the assisted category was it was more
of a distraction than a useful tool but it sure was fun racking up the
countries...perhaps the experience from VK is skewed due to the lack of
packet clusters(spotters) based this part of the globe.

Sooner or later we need to say enough to new categories. Perhaps the low
interest in this category could see it deleted next year as an experiment
that didn't quite work..

VK4TI Trent