[CQ-Contest] XTREME category...a colossal BUST?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] XTREME category...a colossal BUST?
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 00:31:40 +0000 (GMT)
My 2 cents....

Most folks on this reflector and most (vast majority) of entrants are
traditional contesters.
They like contesting for their own, already established reasons: Competing to
win, globally,
nationally, regionally, or locally.  Or maybe they get on to DX or to give out
some points or
to contribute to the club score.  I'm betting that for them, the extreme
category has little,
if any, interest....save for Mario.

On the other hand, those who might be interested in a type of operation that
would qualify
as "Xtreme" are likely opposed to the idea of "contesting."  Even though there
is a plaque,
and even though "cleverness of design" is factored in (not just total score), I
bet those
folks are just hard to reach; they sure are NOT looking a contest reflector.

I don't know what kind of advertising K1DG did, other than the SDR forum at
Dayton, but I
bet he (the CQWWCC) missed most of the potential audience.  And again, even if
there
were some interest, they might simply have been "turned off" once they
heard/read the
word "contest."

Just a guess.....

But no matter how you turn it around, yeah, it's way to early to declare it
dead.  A "bust"
for 2009? Maybe.  Let's see how well it can be publicized and promoted in
other, non-contest
forums.

de Doug KR2Q