[CQ-Contest] WPX online score database

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX online score database
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 06:55:43 -0000
Back in August, I posted a message on the cq-contest reflector looking for
volunteers who would be willing to type in line scores for WPX contests. I
as very happy to hear from about a dozen volunteers.
As always, it is amazing the passion and willingness to help that can be
found in the contesting world.

Each volunteer received a set of image files with magazine page scans (some
better than others) and instructions. I would estimate it took each
volunteer about 12-18 hours of hard work to accomplish their task.  It would
then take me another 3-6 hours to add the necessary country info and convert
the files into the online database.

The result is that we now have an online database with ALL lines scores for
WPX SSB from 1985 to 2008 and for WPX CW from 1991 to 2008.  You can access
various views at http://www.cqwpx.com/score_db.htm

Since there was so much hand work and very small print, I would like to ask
everyone to check their scores and report any errors.  As we got back into
some of the Russian calls of the 1980's it wasn't always clear what country
a particular call might have been in.  So look for errors there as well. If
you know of additional scores or corrections that may have appeared in
errata in a CQ magazine, please let me know about them.

Thanks to the following for their data entry efforts to help build this
historical record.

WPX SSB
Call            Year            Entries
N7AZ            1992            1618
K5ZD            1991            1616
WP3C            1990            1578
SV1RP           1989            1727
K5ZD            1988            1750
AB7E            1987            1554
KA3DRR  1986            1544
N1NK            1985            1459

WPX CW
Call            Year            Entries
K4ZW            1992            1160
NN3W            1991            1196

More to come.  If you would like to volunteer, please let me know!

Randy Thompson, K5ZD

Director - CQ WPX Contest

email: k5zd@cqwpx.com
web: www.cqwpx.com

PS - Interesting to see how contest activity / log submissions is changing
over time.  See
http://www.cqwpx.com/stats.htm

PPS - Only 64 days until WPX SSB.