Re: [CQ-Contest] 80 Meter Phone Split Operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 80 Meter Phone Split Operation
From: LY8O <ly8o@ot.lt>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:02:32 +0200
And it works  not only on 80m, but on 40m as well:
- you have less QRM from local stations;
- you can better use DX opening time;
- you can save a time for both sides instead of trying to collect necessary
information in local noise;
- you can copy weaker signals because of more clear frequency.
The only disadvantage is to be sure the stations are calling you and not
someone else. Sometimes it happens...

73, Remi LY8O

K1TTT wrote:
> Now that the U.S. phone band extends down to 3600 khz, why on earth do
> stations work split on 80 meters?

Because it works?

A couple possibilities...
1. Europeans aren't used to us transmitting down low and don't listen for us
down there.
2. There may be more European qrm and other junk down there than there is
above 3800, so that gets our signals out of their noise.
3. It makes listening easier for us since we can move our receive frequency
easily without having to move our transmit, thus preventing stomping on
other stateside stations.
4. We are also able to listen in an area relatively free of stateside qrm.

David Robbins K1TTT