Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting 'Bots

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting 'Bots
From: "S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:23:17 +0200
K5MO wrote: I'll gladly prefer using a key to  turning on a "station" and
letting computers blather at one another unattended for a weekend under the
guise of "ham radio contesting".

Computers are doing that already in my beloved closed field of chess!  They
also do a lot of financial transactions unattended and occassionally cause a
crash.

Ham radio HF contesting includes ionosphere propagation which might be
simulated, modified in real time but we do NOT controll the Universe or even
the Sun.

I vividly remember poor condx during first SCC RTTY contest which I
organised!

On August 27th, 1998 an unusual star exploded some 15.000 light years away
from us but
caused havoc in the ionosphere for the next few days.  It was newly
discovered only 3 month
ago and named magnastar with the strongest magnetic field ever recorded of
10**15 Gauss
compared with our poor Earth of only 0.6 Gauss.  Even sunspots produce only
1000 Gauss outbursts.

I used oldfashioned keyer paddle last YUDX weekend and it was not much fun
anymore :-(

73 de Mario, YU/S56A