[CQ-Contest] What are YOU doing this summer in preparation for next year

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] What are YOU doing this summer in preparation for next year's DX contest season?
From: k1zr@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:41:46 +0000 (UTC)

Now that I'm back in the game big-time after taking a few years off (I had to
unfortunately) to help build a successful high-tech start-up I'm focusing on
two things this summer in addition to building a new station to help prepare
for the 2010/2011 contest season.

1.  Improve my CW copying ability.  I can run stations at 35 wpm all day long
but if you asked me to carry on a lengthy QSO at that speed I'd huddle up in
the fetal position and start sucking my thumb. My goal before the end of the
summer is to comfortably rag chew at 35+wpm.  Unfortunately I cannot
operate 24/7 so I've loaded up my Blackberry with dozens of CW mp3's from the
ARRL's website and listen to them daily during my 62 mile commute to/from the
office.

2.  Remain in top physical condition.  To be a great operator I strongly
believe that you must be top physical shape to endure the pain of a 48 hour DX
contest.  I've lost the extra pounds that I didn't need by exercising
regularly and making minor changes to my diet and now feel better than ever.
If you're thinking 'this guy's nuts, there's no chance that being in shape will
positively influence my contest score' I challenge you to give it a try.  The
worst case scenario is that your contest score stays the same and you end
up becoming a healthy operator.

I'd like to know what others are doing this summer to prepare themselves for
next year's DX contest season other than adding aluminum and upgrading
equipment.

-Shane K1ZR