Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 04:50:30 +0000
Somewhere in the noise I saw K9NW say:

>> >This feed offers one huge advantage for contesters, because the RBN
>> >spots*every*  station it hears
> Huge advantage for which contesters?
>
> So far this discussion seems to have mostly leaned toward the viewpoint of
> ops from "this side" of things.  How about the guys on the "other side" of
> things, the ones op'ing from Less-Than-Garden-Variety DX locations?  As an
> occasional LTGV DX guy, I would sometimes prefer LESS spots as it would
> sometimes allow me to work MORE stations.
>
> When I was in Africa last year for CQWW CW, it was terribly frustrating
> trying to keep a decent rate on 20m during the last few hours of the contest.
>  I'd find a hole in the band, work some guys at a decent clip, then "BOOM"
> I'm on the cluster and all hell breaks loose.  You can fight it for a while
> but eventually your only recourse is to start over on another frequency, work
> as many as you can until you're spotted again, repeat as necessary.  This is
> less of a problem on bands where you're hearing the DX louder than you hear
> most of the callers.  On a band like 20m, where you're likely to be hearing
> everyone else too, it quickly turns to chaos when you can't hear the DX come
> back to someone because of the non-stop spot pouncers who have to try to be
> the last one in the pile.....etc., etc.  That simply isn't much fun for the
> LTGV DX guy.  So maybe you can see why someone might prefer to be spotted
> less.
>
> Would this RBN feed add to the problem?  Hard to say - the existing cluster
> is already a behemoth.  One could maybe even argue that the pileups would
> thin out as there would be so many more options for the Cluster Corps to
> chase after.  Dunno.  But it has me reevaluating traveling to LTGV DX spots
> for contests.  (At least during non-contest times I can send "UP")

Used to be that getting spotted was fun.  It actually helped & was
welcome.  But then it started to go pear-shaped, must have been by
around the turn of the millennium, now at least 7 years since had
definitely gone too far:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2003-02/msg00201.html
Note that thread was kicked off by VK5GN, definitely garden-variety DX.

Still, I think K9NW's concern somewhat offset by the same factor that
could make RDXC fun for a visitor but not the resident not-GV DX - it
still beats being at home.  Now, if you're a frequent visitor... posts
like K9NW's & now N6TJ are no real surprise to me, very significant &
hopefully folks take note.  Jim's concern on the abuse aspect of all is
interesting, as I would have thought at the top of the game this
wouldn't even register.  It deserves repeating:

> ..has also brought-out the bottom feeders, some of whom have mastered the
> skill of
> using these technologies  to cheat.  Many don't believe this happens.  Most
> couldn't care less.
>
> I know, and I care, and it ain't FUN.

Speaking of which, I seemed to have missed the WPX SSB spot analysis report.

DX cluster is killing the radio contest - original lyrics not too far
off, either:

"I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.

Oh-a oh

They took the credit for your second symphony.
Rewritten by machine and new technology,
and now I understand the problems you can see.

<snip>

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone too far."

Very good posts from both VE4XT & VE5RA.

73, Canary in a Chinese Coal Mine.