Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A new "DX cluster" experience for contesters
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:32:01 -0700
Nicely written, Kelly.

I think the "contest" in radiosport has always been a combination of
trying to see who has the best operating skills and who has the best
technology.  Operating skills include things like code speed and
recognition, the ability to quickly pull callsigns out of a pileup,
knowledge of propagation, the experience to know when to run and when to
chase multipliers, the ability to stay focused for long hours, etc.  The
technology side includes things like receiver performance (noise floor,
filters, etc) antenna performance (gain, takeoff angle), number of
quickly switchable antennas, automatic bandswitching of amps and
antennas, SO2R capability, memory keyers, computer logging with built in
country data, Super Check Partial files, call history files, spotting
clusters, etc.  There are folks who get more satisfaction from trying to
push their operating skill, and there are folks who get more
satisfaction from trying to push their technology.  Radiosport clearly
embraces both.  The large multi-op station that sets a contest record in
CQWW one year didn't necessarily do so because their operators improved
their proficiency over the prior year.  Their regular operators may have
gotten smarter, but they also may have added a couple of new antennas,
or added Skimmer capability, or simply brought in a couple of new
operators.  The single operator who adds SO2R to his arsenal is
improving both his technology and operating skill.

I don't think that either is any less valid a pursuit than the other.  I
suspect that even EI5DI, who writes contest software, would agree with
that ... his concern seems far more rooted in the issue of wired versus
wireless.  I found it interesting to read the comments on this reflector
back when the M/S rules for WPX were being modified.  It seemed clear to
me that many of the folks who enjoyed M/S in its prior form did so
precisely because of the opportunity to see how far they could snuggle
up to the rule boundaries with technology ... multiple operators
simultaneously manning multiple transmitters with lockouts, etc.  I
really don't see any problem with that, and my only complaint at the
time was that there was no longer any entry classification for the
situation where two or more hams split the time in the chair at one rig.

In spite of some of the sentiments that have been expressed here, the
issue isn't whether improving technology or improving operator skill is
closer to heaven.  None of us got better with a straight key when we
switched to an electronic key, and none of us got mentally better at
picking out a signal from the clutter when we migrated from 1960's rigs
to Orion II's and K3's.  Acknowledging but setting aside for the moment
EI5DI's concerns about wired versus wireless, ham radio is in general
advanced when our ability to effectively communicate improves, and
contesting tends to be the arena where that happens much in the same way
that advances in automobile technology are driven by racing.

Just as with automobile racing, the key is for the major contest
sponsors to thoughtfully define entry categories that provide
performance brackets for the majority of participants (assuming they
want broad participation).  I think that's a tough job for them, but
advancements in technology provide challenges for everyone.  To be
honest, I think radiosport has historically done a better job of
creating technology categories than it has operating categories.  We
have high power versus low power, single versus multi-transmitter,
assisted versus unassisted, single versus multi-band, and TB-wires
versus unlimited on the technology side, but on the operating side we
have mostly just single versus multi-op.  One delineation that seems
missing to me is for time spent ... not everyone has the ability to
devote 48 hours to the contest, whether because of family considerations
or physical capability.  In any case, it seems far more desirable to
provide appropriate categories for fair competition across the spectrum
of contest activity as it evolves than to simply freeze or even revert
contest activity based upon somebody's perceptions of ham radio
morality.  As I stated in an earlier posting, radiosport is a bit unique
in that it can readily (even transparently) handle multiple "contests
within the contest" since everyone works everyone else and the exchange
is all the same.  Nobody loses points by working someone in a different
entry category.

I think much of the opposition to changes in technology is due to simple
inertia, much like the guy who stated that he'd had the good fortune to
enjoy 40 years of "amateur radio as it was designed" when what he really
meant was "amateur radio as I found it".  If the contest sponsors are
unable to create entry categories that give each of us a fair shot at
being at least credible at some level, than we have a problem.  Other
than that, I say push onward.

73,
Dave   AB7E

There are time and physical capability barriers on the operating side,
and there are of course knowledge, financial, and physical space
barriers on the technology side.