[CQ-Contest] Packing electronics for TSA inspection

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packing electronics for TSA inspection
From: "Eric K9GY" <k9gy@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 12:23:00 -0000
Funny story that happened yesterday at O'Hare (Chicago):

Two suitcases checked baggage
a) $50 Walmart chair
b) wires, metal boxes, coax leads, etc

Two carry-on:
a) Pelican with radios, tuners, etc
b) computer in carrying bag etc

The TSA decides to inspect the suitcase with the $50 Walmart chair.
Seemed like they were interested in the lever/support for the underside
of the chair.

Moral of the story is that TSA misses the stuff they should be inspecting!
(some call the TSA= Thousands Standing Around)

>From my experience: The USA security inspectors feel like they have to
take almost (if not all) of the stuff out of the luggage to check it. This
has happened with my carry on pelican case. I always put a copy of FCC
license and foreign license on top so that is the first thing they see.
In foreign countries, they usually skim/read the local license and then
that's enough to not have to look any further.

Once TSA did 10 swabs on my pelican and I asked the guy about it.
He said the first one came up positive but the other nine didn't.

I lucked out once coming back through Houston. The inspector lady had
a relative that was a ham so she understood what I was.

Anything of value/fragile goes with me inside the cabin in the pelican.
I have never checked any radios or computers. I think that's just asking
for problems.

So your stuff might get the full unpacking or never be touched.

73, Eric K9GY aka-YN2GY